Sunday, October 12, 2008

more light!

Had my wedding gig last night (the one for which I bought the lighting equipment). It was really, really fun. I know the brides, and they are lovely, fabulous folks. It was a beautiful ceremony, and there was good energy all around. (And good cake!)

The lights were a big hit! There were a few photographers there as well, and the lead was thrilled that I'd brought some stationary, consistent lights. He didn't want to shoot with flash during the ceremony as it would distract. I just used the two 1000W halogen tripods. Each was off to the side, angled down at full power so the light would bounce up and not glare in the ladies' eyes. We could have used one more set of lights down the middle, but there you go. Learning for next time.

I realized something strange and interesting last night too, about a difference between video and photography that I never noticed:

video: I shoot motion, and therefore, must remain, for the most part, fairly still, or the audience will have a hard time keeping up.

photography: They shoot stills, so (other than at the moment of the shot) they can bop around quite a bit in between. 

I felt like a strange statue/flower, while these water bugs/small mammals bounced around me. However, for both of us, the actual moment of the shot is still. Only, for photogs, it's a quick moment plucked out of the time stream, and then on to the next. Whereas, I am recording the river of it, the motion.

At the moment of recording, we must be still, while the machine does the work.

When I used to do a lot more sketching, one of the things I'd like to do is to go like mad for 30-120 seconds, hardly looking at the paper, while the subject moved, talked, ignored me. Sometimes the drawings were nearly unintelligible, but that was cool. Other times, they seemed to capture the person in their fullness. Or in a kind of fullness. 

They move, I move, all is movement, personally and relatively.

And last night was moving. To be part of such a lovely thing, for two such lovely women...it means a lot to me. Yay!

1 comment:

Clifford said...

Ani DiFranco has a song called "Evolve" about how she's trying to change...it includes this final line:

"It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures because I've got that kind of beauty that moves."

I love that concept...and your statements about the difference between capturing a single image vs. a stream reminded me of this...you are capturing totally differnt things.